Thursday, April 2, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Well here I am again.

I know it has been a while since my last post, but I unexpectedly took a job on a feature film that pretty much used up all of my free time for the last six weeks. But now I'm done, and once I get my random thoughts together on the state of popular culture, I can once again start sharing my rants and raves with the world.

First off, some highlights from the movie I was working on. It was a low-budget horror film that took place at a ski resort. That meant that for the last six weeks I have been knee deep in snow and braving below freezing temperatures.

Spending that amount of time on a mountain pretty much in the middle of nowhere can be quite difficult, especially considering half the show was shot at night. I think our record low was six degrees. Brrrrrrrrrr.

Here in a shot from the basic location of the film up on the mountain.

I guess the view is better than some other jobs. It could be worse, it could be the inside of a cubicle.

Sometimes I don't know why film crews drag their equipment to the ends of the earth, just for the sake of entertainment. Hauling gear up a mountain can get pretty grueling, but it can also be pretty crazy at times. But man was it cold.

Making things difficult was also the fact that the actors, and therefore our cameras, had to spend the majority of the film 30+ feet up in the air. This made every little camera adjustment a major ordeal, not to mention the problems relating to wind and weather. Boy what a headache of a show!


Of course sometimes the fun of working on a horror movie is the little funny little things you see. Out of context, images like this next one seem to make no sense, but it is just one of the many fun aspects of working on this type of movie.


It is not every job where you can come across blood and severed limbs and instead of being totally freaked out, you actually find it quite amusing.

So I'm now back in the real world and trying to thaw out from my adventure on the mountain. I hope everyone has been doing well and I hope to be able to post more often.

2 comments:

The Cakes said...

I am glad you're back - on the blog and at home!

Marilyn said...

What a long wait for your new posting. I can relate to your weather woes. I have discovered that Spring in Idaho just means that the new snow just melts faster! Glad you are back to your responsibilities to Your fans!!!