Friday, September 12, 2008

Foxes In The Hen House


Hey kids what time is it?  It's weekly music pick time!  It is time again for me to share what I am listening to this week.  

A couple of weeks ago I was watching Letterman when I saw a band making their TV debut (this is rare for me, as I often don't stay up to watch the musical guest).  It was a group called The Fleet Foxes.  Click the link below to go to youtube and see what I saw.


I went out the very next day and got their album.  Well, I really didn't go anywhere.  I just downloaded the album (Although I still have mixed feelings about that technology).  It is a hard type of music to describe.  It sounds retro yet new at the same time.  I can hear some influences of groups like The Beach Boys and Crosby, Stills, & Don't Forget Nash in the harmonies, but it also has an indie edge as one would expect from a band from Seattle. After all, that's where both Nirvana and the grunge-sound was born.





































Their music is warm and fun.  I guess one could describe it as a type of folk-rock, but I really hate putting labels on music.  It is either good or it isn't.  It is either worth  listening to and spending money on, or it is not.  And in my opinion, this group delivers the goods.  The Fleet Foxes don't really sound much like what is out there right now, what with the decline of most pop music (That's right, I'm talking about you Jonas Brothers) so they should at least be worth a listen.


So, check out The Fleet Foxes album.  At the very least listen to a 20-second sample sample on iTunes.  I would recommend 'White Winter Hymnal', 'Blue Ridge Mountains', or 'Ragged Wood'. But really the whole album is worth checking out.  Now I bet you can't wait to find out what I'll be listening to next week.  Neither can I.

1 comment:

Kirse May said...

My favorite line of that post - "I'm talking to you - Jonas Brothers."
You are a fun writer - I might even read your blog even if you weren't my brother. Have a good weekend.