Monday, September 22, 2008

You Can Put Lipstick On An Emmy...

What a sad and depressing day.  First I wake up and it's cloudy and overcast.  A gloomy day often equals a gloomy mood; although I'm not sure why outdoor weather would affect me since I like to spend most of the day inside watching television.  In any case, sadness.


Speaking of television, did you see how terrible the Emmy awards were last night.  And this is from a guy who loves TV!  The winners and losers were fine (but I did wish that 'Lost' would get some much deserved Emmy love--Michael Emerson is one of the most brilliant things on a brilliant show--yet lost last night to Zeljko Ivanek), but I wish the show itself had been better.


I think the problem was the five hosts gathered together from various reality shows.  It reminded why I don't really watch reality TV--it is not entertaining.  The group sure meant well, but the collective whole of the sum of their parts was just painful to watch.  I mean, how do you make a show about television (which is awesome) incredibly boring?  I guess if you pick five hosts, some of which are okay in small doses and spread them out over three hours the result is a snooze-fest.

I did like the idea of getting all the nominees from a single category together to host the show, but why would they pick the reality guys (availability, I guess)?  Wouldn't a great group to host be the supporting comedy actors?  Can you imagine Jeremy Piven, Kevin Dillon, Neil Patrick Harris, Rainn Wilson, and Jon Cryer being the hosts?  Wouldn't that have been fun.  Just to see the buddy from "Grosse Pointe Blank", Dally's real-life brother, Dr. Horrible, Dwight, and Duckie (All Hail!) hosting together would be a lot more interesting.
The only Emmy highlights I saw were Ricky Gervais, The 'Laugh-In' reunion, and anything involving Stephen Colbert.  Other than that, I can't say there was much to blog about. Let me know if I missed something, but to me it seemed pretty weak-sauce.

P.S.  If you can identify the "sadness" photo from above, you are officially cool.  If not, well you got issues my friend.


1 comment:

The Cakes said...

Ohhh, ohh, oh - I know. Arrested Development! What do I win? I can hear the sound bite already. Do -doo-doooo do do.