Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Kids Are Alright

Well my friends it is time again to discuss everyone's favorite topic.  Mainly, what am I listening to this week.  Today's answer: The Black Kids.

This is the debut album from a group of kids out of Florida.  I don't know why they call themselves The Black Kids, to my knowledge not a single member of the band is African American (as one might assume).

When I first heard them I didn't know that they were American, because the lead-singer tends to sing with some sort of British accent.  I don't know what it is about front-men of bands adopting english-accents when they sing, but it is a common practice. I guess this is a phenomenon that goes way beyond Madonna and Gwyneth Paltrow.















In any case, this album is a collection of some pretty good pop songs.  In fact, in discovering The Black Kids I also came across their EP from last year called "Wizard Of Ahhhs".  This collection contains many of the same songs as "Partie Traumatic" but with a rougher, less polished sound.  Which album is better?  Well if you ask me they are both pretty darn good.  It might just depend on your mood.

They got a great sound that reminds me of a little bit of the "Hot Fuss" era of The Killers but mixed with a super-fun vibe of early 80's B-52's tunes.  That sounds like an odd combo I know, but it's basically a great album to have in your car when your just drivin' around.














My favorite track from The Black Kids' record "Partie Traumatic" is "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You" (Isn't that a great title for a pop song?). It is sort-of an updated version of the classic 1981 Rick Springfield song "Jessie's Girl", which I like because it makes me think of that dog dressed up in a shirt and tie.  Isn't clothing on animals hilarious?

Other tracks of note are "Love Me Already", "Hurricane Jane", and the title track "Partie Tramautic".


1 comment:

The Cakes said...

How come you haven't shared the goodies with me sooner? Are you sneaking it into my life soundtrack without me knowing?